Monday, May 31, 2010

Real Person Anniversary

One year ago today, I graduated from college. Back then, I had no idea what I was going to do with my life, except move to Argentina. I had no clue what to expect, and at that point, I was semi-sure that I would be moving back home within 6 months (HA).

I have been a "real person" (as college grads like to call themselves) for a whole year. 12 months ago, when I left the life I had known and loved for 4 years, I was nostalgic and anxious about the future. I had a plan (buy ticket, get on plane), but other than that, I had no clue what was in store for me. Being a "real person" was scary and exciting, feelings which were only intensified by the fact that I was going to have to make the transition from raging college kid to reality in a different country, miles away from anyone I knew.

I am oh so happy to say that so far, being a "real person" has been amazing. In the past year, I have done things I never imagined. I have learned so much about myself, about life. I've learned how to make friends in a foreign language, how to cope with the loss of a pet, how to deal with being unemployed. There have been some hard times and drama, periods of success and moments of failure. But on the whole, being "real" has been awesome.

The one thing I've learned from all this realness is that life is unpredictable. Things happen when you least expect it, and all you can do is go with it and seize the opportunities that land in front of you. Having a plan is all well and good, but it only gets you so far. After a certain point, you just have to give it up to life and let it all happen.

I had a plan, and it got me here. Since then, things have just kind of fallen into place and I couldn't be happier about it. We'll see where I'll be in a year!

My two best friends and I, back before we were real...

No comments:

Post a Comment